[ale] [OT] AT&T/UVerse going to carrier grade NAT?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Jun 7 12:11:43 EDT 2012

Michael Campbell <michael.campbell at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Geoffrey Myers
><lists at serioustechnology.com>wrote:
>
>> On 06/07/2012 06:58 AM, Michael Campbell wrote:
>> > ALErs,
>> >
>> > A buddy of mine on UVerse received a notice that he would have to
>change
>> > his LAN from 10/8 to 192.168/16 for some "improvements" that AT&T
>was
>> > about to roll out 6-Jul.
>> >
>> > The buzz on "dslreports.com <http://dslreports.com>" is that AT&T
>is
>> > moving to a carrier grade NAT setup, and will be issuing all
>subscribers
>> > a 10/8 address, resulting in subscribers no longer having a
>publicly
>> > visible IP (static or not).
>>
>> So what about those of us who pay for static IPs?  I'm on u-verse and
>> have not heard anything about this.
>>

>I don't know.  I didn't know a static IP was even available or I would
>have
>also had one.  The rumor is that for $15/mo extra, they're going to
>allow
>people to have a (presumably dynamic) IP, which I have now for no extra
>cost.
>
>Here's a thread on dslreports from one person who got the mail, and the
>flurry of supposition and such afterwards:
>http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27139475-I-need-to-change-my-network-addresses-for-Uverse-expansion-
>
>I have a neighbor that works at AT&T, and *HE* can't get a straight
>answer
>from anyone there.  They're being extraordinarily cagey about the whole
>thing.

Would dynamic dns service in conjunction with something like a hotspotvpn tunnel allow you to expose services to the internet?  I think you have a "public" address as long as the tunnel is up.  Of course, they may not want you to keep the tunnel up 24 hr / day.

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com