[ale] Low voltage work in GA

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Tue Jul 31 14:36:12 EDT 2012

On 07/31/2012 02:15 PM, Greg Clifton wrote:
> A related question occurs to me. I would assume that the grey
> (PVC?) electrical conduit would not be allowed for plenum installation,
> rather you would have to use the thin walled metal, no? Otherwise,
> wouldn't  putting PVC cable in PVC conduit defeat the purpose of using
> conduit so as not to get gassed by the Chlorine content of the PVC when
> the fire starts?

I am pretty sure that insofar as conduit is concerned, you must use
either EMT or rigid conduit in commercial installations, and rigid
conduit is typically required for things that run voltage greater than
that which is used for communications and data lines.

In a house, you can get away with PVC or plastic conduit.  Code is much
more strict with regard to commercial buildings.  Also, the conduit must
be grounded.

There are some exceptions for raceways, but I don't intend on using such
things.  Personally, I am a fan of putting things in a way or using a
metal conduit that will more-or-less blend in once painted.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”