[ale] high performance computing

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 13:59:03 EDT 2012

It's pretty amazing what $10k will buy these days! Dual chip, 16-core
Opterons with 256GB DDR3 RAM.

The hardware you buy is based the problems to solve. FFT is floating
point so GPU is not an option. Also FFT is (typically) reasonable data
sizes so RAM is good but it's really all a CPU process. So you'll want
a CPU with the largest L2 and L3 caches you can get.

I've ordered test systems from 8anet.com and production servers from Microway.

If the problem can be broken into many discrete parts, high speed
interconnect is not needed. If the problem requires interim, parallel
checkpoint or shared memory in any form, Don't get cheap with gig
ethernet unless the data exchange is very small. Get the Infiniband
and don't look back. It's less expensive per unit of throughput than
10G ethernet.