[ale] OT: That'll teach ya for not lockin' down your WiFi

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 2 11:50:30 EDT 2012

Mike Harrison <cluon at geeklabs.com> writes:

> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012, Charles Shapiro wrote:
>
>> http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/01/my_open_wireles.html
>>
>> Bruce Said It, I believe It, That Settles It.
>
> For many of the same reasons, mine is the same. I treat my internal
> network as "hostile". Have lots of house guests that appreciate the
> connection. I also don't lock my water taps, the fridge door or the
> bathroom.

I treat my home network the same way.  I run my own Kerberos domain and
only use SSH to communicate between my hosts.  However I still run an
encrypted WiFi.  I'm happy to type in my WPA password into any guest
computer.  But I don't want my neighbor's teenagers on my network.

I don't view it as polite.  My guests still need a key to get in my
front door, which I gladly provide to them when they arrive.  I view
wifi the same way.  I'll gladly provide the key to my guests.  But I
don't want any random person to roam onto my network (accidentally or on
purpose).

-derek