[ale] OT - Hard Drive Warranties

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Wed Jan 25 11:04:26 EST 2012

Brian Mathis wrote:
> Almost all hard drives today use fluid dynamic bearings, which will
> never wear out, but other parts can still wear.

Never say never.  Surely they won't last 3000 years.

Reminds me of a story from years ago.  My parents were shopping at an
S&H green stamp store.  The sales person handed my Dad a plate and said
it was unbreakable.  New fangle stuff.  Anyway, Dad, being the kind of
guy that takes you at your word, promptly slapped the plate against the
counter and it shatter in pieces.  He then looked at the salesperson and
said: "No it's not".  Then asked how much he owed for the broken plate.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson