[ale] OT - Hard Drive Warranties

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Tue Jan 24 15:02:03 EST 2012

Almost all hard drives today use fluid dynamic bearings, which will
never wear out, but other parts can still wear.  And don't forget the
risk of crashing the nanometer head into the platter spinning at
67MPH.

Warranties are generally a financial construct, and don't really have
much to do with the quality of a product.  A certain percentage of the
products will fail each year, and the company calculates how much it's
going to cost to replace %X number of drives per year, and then they
roll that into the purchase price.  A longer warranty means they have
to replace more of them, so the initial cost is higher.  They have to
balance the quality of the device to make sure it's reliable, etc...,
but 3 vs. 5 years almost certainly comes down to making these kinds of
calculations, instead of a statement about quality.

Aftermarket warranties are almost always a waste of money because the
cost far outweighs the risk.  Hard drives in particular are not big
ticket items, and once you're outside the manufacturer's warranty,
you're probably due for an upgrade anyway.

❧ Brian Mathis