[ale] FreeBSD is Demonic

Steve Brown scbrown3 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 11:02:08 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM, mike at trausch.us <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> I'm actually surprised that Android hit things off as well as it did.
> More and more companies are agreeing to the terms of the GPL when
> creating and distributing their own devices, which makes me happy, but
> I'm surprised that something else built on BSD didn't manage to be
> introduced and become as-or-more successful, simply because then
> companies could go "WE KEEP OUR STUFFS PRIVATE!!!!".

For the kernel stuff they are using GPL (obviously because they have to),
for the userland they use the Apache license [0] which I think is similar
to BSD but with added patent indemnification (IANAL). This allows the
handset manufacturers to come out with their own UI flavor, something they
think differentiates them from other Android phones but in all actuality no
one seems to want, and not open source it.

[0] http://source.android.com/source/licenses.html

-Steve Brown