[ale] FreeBSD is Demonic

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Fri Jan 13 10:48:44 EST 2012

On 01/13/2012 10:45 AM, Steve Brown wrote:
> I've heard it's also because of the GPL. Things can go from BSD -> GPL,
> but not the other way around. The GPL folks wouldn't want to dual
> license to BSD because that kind of defeats the purpose.

I know that there are some shops out there that prefer to use BSD
because they can do some pretty wide-spread customization on it to fit
their requirements, and not be compelled to distribute the source for it.

I'm actually surprised that Android hit things off as well as it did.
More and more companies are agreeing to the terms of the GPL when
creating and distributing their own devices, which makes me happy, but
I'm surprised that something else built on BSD didn't manage to be
introduced and become as-or-more successful, simply because then
companies could go "WE KEEP OUR STUFFS PRIVATE!!!!".

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”