[ale] HELP - Partition Misaligned message after cloning disk

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Dec 31 17:15:13 EST 2012

Hi all,

HELP.  I cloned my 500 GB hdd which was threatening failure for my
laptop to a new 750 GB hdd using Acronis True Image.  I told it to leave
the partition sizes unchanged, so the extra space at the end of the
drive is unallocated.

I can now boot both Windows 7 and Ubuntu and they work fine.  However,
Disk Utility in Ubuntu is giving an error message on each partition that
says:

WARNING: The partition is misaligned by xxxx bytes.  This may result in
very poor performance.  Repartitioning is suggested.

The number xxxx varies by partition, and all partitions are showing the
problem, except for the unallocated space.  The following screen shots
show each error.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/123112-Screenshot-01.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/123112-Screenshot-02.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/123112-Screenshot-03.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/123112-Screenshot-04.png

Windows 7 seems to run fine and is apparently not bothered, although
there may be hidden effects I cannot see.  What are the implications of
this?  How do I fix it?  Note that I don't want to erase any data in any
of the partitions.  The disk is formatted as MBR.

The following screen shot shows the structure of the drive in Disk
Manager in Windows.  The 97 GB partition is the Linux partition and it
is EXT4.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/123112-Screenshot-05.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ron

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)