[ale] how do I run, and control, X11 server on android tablet?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sat Dec 29 18:32:21 EST 2012

On 12/29/2012 03:31 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to figure out how to attach a program running in the GO
> language to a GUI, since it doesn't have a built in GUI.  I've found a couple of
> X11 server programs in the Google Play store entitled, cleverly, X Server.  I'm
> wondering if I can run the X server on the Android tablet and control or drive
> it remotely from another PC with a GO program or even a bash script.  So, if I
> install the X Server program on the tablet, and say its address is 192.168.50.5,
> and the pc's address is 192.168.50.1, how do I run Ubuntu graphical apps (say
> Firefox?) on the PC and have them appear on the tablet?  Furthermore, how do I
> use a program or script to drive the X11 server directly, so I can use the
> tablet as the GUI for the GO program?

Unless something major has changed in the last 4 months, there isn't an X-server
that runs on Android.  I've done this. The way to achieve that is to run a
chroot copy of an Arm-linux, run the program inside that Linux plus a VNC server
the connect to your local arm-Linux using a VNC program from google's store.  It
sorta works, but not anywhere as well as most people would need.  It was a
curiosity to me. Nothing more.

X-servers and X-clients work backwards of what most C/S architectures involve.
The physical machine where you want to display things - THAT is the X-server.
The remote machine is where the X-client runs.  Last time I needed to help
someone understand it, wikipedia had a good explanation.

Having a fully functioning X-Server for Android would be nice. REALLY nice.  To
get the needed performance, I can't see that being written in java, so a native
build will be needed for each platform.

Ok, so back to your final question - how to run remote GUI programs on Android?
 VNC.  I wish there were a working NX client, since NX is 2x-3x more efficient
than VNC or RDP.  Don't forget that VNC usually doesn't include any encryption,
so do this on a LAN only, not over the internet without adding a VPN to the mix.

BTW, I have an A500 tablet.
I hope this helps.