[ale] [OT: Tech need in Lawrenceville]

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Dec 29 11:44:58 EST 2012

WHAT?

That is well within my realm but...  Seriously?  $25 per hour?  Someone
has got to be joking.  On an emergency call with no pre existing
business relationship in place?  They have got to be kidding.

I KNOW that the dudes that come out and service photocopiers come with a
price tag of closer to $120 per hour portal to portal (based on
experience two decades ago) for their contact customers.  My favorite
non-profit down on Briarcliff gets zinged $45 an hour (portal to portal)
for me to darken their door and we have an established relationship and
I haven't raised my rates on them in 20 years (should be closer to $100
per hour by now if I was keeping up).

$25 per hour is chump change even if it is for just a cable monkey (and
here there be dragons - it's NEVER simple).  I have all the tools and
the cable testers (all expensive) and gear and all but there is no way I
would be leaving the pad for $25 per hour.  I know exactly where that is
(and it's no longer "Discover" Mills - they had to drop the "Discover"
from the name because and agreement had lapsed) and it's about a half
hour from here.  There's just no way at that price.

Regards,
Mike