[ale] Holy cow! Published in Slashdot!!

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Fri Dec 28 11:37:48 EST 2012

Presumably you're using ssh-agent & ssh-add, not just creating keys without passphrases. Other than for some very limited accounts designed for cron tasks, I can't see a good reason for having ssh keys without a good passphrase. Then, even if your box gets compromised the keys can't be used without the passphrase (but you don't have to type it for each individual ssh command either!) I used ssh for years before bothering to learn how to set up ssh-agent/ssh-add. It's definitely made life easier. Since you don't have to type it as often, you can make a longer, more complex passphrase. I'd hate to type 16 characters for every ssh/scp I have to do!

Of course, once you have access to the public and private keys, the passphrase could be brute forced without connecting to the remote system, correct? In that sense, a passphrase is less secure than a password you use to connect to a remote system, as the remote system can detect incorrect guesses and lock the account. Does it make sense to keep your public keys separate from and not easily associated with your private keys, just in case your box does need get hacked? Do you need the public key to brute force the passphrase on a private key?

Congrats, Charles!

Scott