[ale] fun reading infoworld magazine from 9/11/1989

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Dec 27 17:14:18 EST 2012

Hi all,

The Security Now podcast just played a holiday episode where they
presented a recorded presentation that Steve Gibson made in 1990.  It
talked about the way hard drives worked then.  While some things have
changed, much of the info is still valid.  He talked about a phenomenon
called long term alignment drift, which apparently was the bane of hard
drive designers.  I was googling around to see if it's still an issue,
as I have an interest in HDD failure modes and trends.  I found this
link to an infoworld magazine from 9/11/1989 at Google books.  You can
read it online.  It's a real riot to go back and see what was happening
23 years ago.

http://books.google.com/books?id=xDAEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT14&lpg=PT14&dq=hdd+long+term+alignment+drift&source=bl&ots=2FDSzuuwZ2&sig=z1D7eU3zUygMGlUpGxjbm-ysJxs&hl=en

Sincerely,

Ron

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)