[ale] OT Comcast cable fanout question

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Mon Dec 10 19:10:05 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Jim Lynch
<ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:
> I have a simple 3 way splitter for my 3 TVs.  I'd like to dump DSL and go to
> a cable modem but I'm concerned about splitting it one more time.
> Should I be?  If I pay them to install it, will they take care of it if
> there is a problem?  Is there a decent powered splitter that would work?
>
> I don't want to get stuck with something that doesn't work.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim.

In my experience so far, Comcast has done everything they could to
make sure the service was working.  I've had them out a few times and
they installed an amp for no additional charge (there might have been
an installation charge the first time).

They know that if you think their service doesn't work, even if it's
your fault, you'll cancel, so they do what they can to make sure it
works.  Of course they will not rewire the whole house...

In your situation, you will probably need a DC coupler for the line
that goes to the cable modem, and then all of your TVs will hang off
the other line.  There's no reason (and it's quite silly), to run
everything through the same splitter.  You split the modem signal off
first, then split to the TVs further downstream.  I would expect
Comcast to provide everything you need to do that.

❧ Brian Mathis