[ale] how do i find cheap tablet with decent features

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Dec 10 13:31:01 EST 2012

Hi Mike W,

That's good info to know.  I hate when when they don't have an SD card slot.  I use the SD card as a means of getting files on and off the tablet.  Also, most of the places I go to around town each day, restaurants and stores, etc., don't have wifi.  So, once I leave my house, I don't have connectivity.  I have the 4G Verizon Jetpack, but I don't have the $ 60 / month budget to feed it unless I'm on travel on vacation.  Even then, I have to turn off all podcast downloads and software updates and just use basic web pages and email to stay under the 3 GB limit.  For my normal usage, I'm downloading about 10 GB of podcasts or so every week.  I use the internal memory / SD card on my existing tablet to store audible books and podcasts so I'm never without enlightenment and entertainment, even if I don't have a wifi connection.  So, lack of an SD card might be a show stopper for me.  The $ 200 - $ 250 price tag is probably a show stopper, since I'm considering this for a secondary tablet, to be used for less critical purposes and more for experimentation.  On the price issue, it's interesting to note that the extra 16 GB of flash in the Nexus commands a $ 50 price premium, but I can buy a 16 GB SD card these days for $ 16.  These things are certainly something to consider.  Thanks for the info.

Sincerely,

Ron