[ale] how do i find cheap tablet with decent features

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Dec 9 13:42:37 EST 2012

On Sat, 2012-12-08 at 22:37 -0500, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Hi Richard,

> You do have a point there.  I'll have to see if it's worth that amount
> of $ to me.  I thought the nexus was over $ 200 though.  I guess it's
> a pretty good bet that the Google tablet would support Google apps.

My Nexus 7 (the larger model - 32GB) was $249 - base price from Google.
And they gave me a $25 credit in the Google App store, which I used to
upgrade a stack of apps from the free versions to the "pro" versions.
Those upgrades then apply to all the Android devices which are
registered to your account, which means 4 in my case, my Nexus and EVO
and June's tablet and her phone.  When I upgrade my phone (soon), all
those pro versions will migrate and install.

The smaller Nexus (16GB - only difference is the internal storage) is
$199 and it's a snap to throw CM10 / JB on it.  3/4 of what I was doing
on my EVO smartphone has been moved to that tablet.

Only downside to the Nexus 7 is that it has no MicroSD slot.  You're
stuck with the storage you've got.  You can get a "host mode" cable (I
have one) that will allow you to plug a USB key in but then you can't
charge it simultaneously.  Them's da breaks.  I still love it and would
do it again even without the $25 store credit.

If you can afford it, get the higher capacity.