[ale] [OT] - system crapped out

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 11:51:11 EST 2012

I'm looking at KVM as a temporary solution for this.

Dongle replacement is not an option.

Total software replacement is a MUCH better option. Something that supports
real multi-user, multi-server, networked access, and secure, encrypted data
communications between the server stack and the clients. This is HIPPA
controlled data.

Already added the PCIe parallel port for the dongle so if KVM can see it,
it should pass through OK.

There's also a USB dongle for a different application. <sigh> Maybe I can
just pass through a single USB port.

Fairly certain at this point that a simultaneous whammy took out the system
- malware to eat the OS drive and a power supply that turned into a 120V
shunt.

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> On 12/06/2012 05:10 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>
>> Was looking at that but snag is a parallel port dongle. Kvm doesn't
>> (qemu precisely ) not sure of others.
>> Old DOS app (runs under freedos) requires blasted dongle. Freedos
>> doesn't like it either.
>>

> Assuming that your motherboard has sufficient features to support this,
> KVM can do PCI passthrough.  You can install a PCI multi-I/O card and
> assign it to the virtual machine, which can then talk directly to the
> hardware.
>
> This means that you can literally give the virtual guest system the access
> it needs to real hardware so that it can validate the dongle or whatever.
>  However, I'd strongly consider seeing if the dongle can be replaced.  I
> highly doubt the dongle is secure by modern standards, and it can probably
> be emulated in software if you have the ability to figure out what is being
> sent/received by the software.
>
> But, PCI passthrough would help you here.
>
>         --- Mike

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.