[ale] [OT] - system crapped out

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Dec 7 11:39:30 EST 2012

On 12/06/2012 05:10 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Was looking at that but snag is a parallel port dongle. Kvm doesn't
> (qemu precisely ) not sure of others.
> Old DOS app (runs under freedos) requires blasted dongle. Freedos
> doesn't like it either.

Assuming that your motherboard has sufficient features to support this,
KVM can do PCI passthrough.  You can install a PCI multi-I/O card and
assign it to the virtual machine, which can then talk directly to the
hardware.

This means that you can literally give the virtual guest system the
access it needs to real hardware so that it can validate the dongle or
whatever.  However, I'd strongly consider seeing if the dongle can be
replaced.  I highly doubt the dongle is secure by modern standards, and
it can probably be emulated in software if you have the ability to
figure out what is being sent/received by the software.

But, PCI passthrough would help you here.

	--- Mike