[ale] Linux bashed by Apple?

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 11:21:12 EDT 2012

On 08/27/2012 11:15 PM, Cornelis van Dijk wrote:
> Is this old news or did I just wake up?
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/27/tech/web/apple-linux-desktop/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
>
> Cor

Hi,

IMHO, the article is written by "tech" writer who knows less about
computers than the cat on my lap!

The basic problem is that Linux desktops are geared primarily as
replacements for Windows. These articles also ignore the higher cost of
Apple computers vs generic PCs or that most people buy computers with
whatever OS comes installed. Thus, the real issues for Linux is not
Apple but major vendor support (Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc) on new units
coupled with MS FUD. I do not know how often I have recently seen some
FUD about how one MUST use CLI with a major Linux distro not that it is
for most users optional.

Another problem is that OS X is a BSD derivative so it is a Unix
derivative so one could argue that OS X is the most successful BSD/Linux
distro.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com