[ale] IPv6 interface identifiers

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 17 10:13:30 EDT 2012

Hi,

Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> writes:

> Yes, this network is a single physical segment. Link local addresses are
> limited to a single segment and I don't think that there is a way to route
> them.

Correct, you cannot route them.  Linux took that to mean that you must
specify which link to use because using the routing table could allow
them to be routed ala source routing.  And even if you only have a
single physical link, you may have multiple virtual links and still need
to specify which virtual link to use.

> I have been using IPv6 for a long time as well, but I have never really had a
> need to connect to a link local address before. I have tried to ping such
> addresses in the past as well, though, and an interface identifier is required
> to do so.

Ah, but have you been using it on Linux?  Honestly, I don't know when
this went into Linux, but it is definitely something that seems to be
limited to Linux.  Not all OSes use the interface identifier.  It's
certainly fouled up many-a-piece-of-software.   C.f. my issues with
postfix a month or so ago.

If you want to know *why* this is the case, I suggest you take it up
with the linux-networking guys.

-derek