[ale] comcast business + mail server = static ip?

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Wed Aug 1 14:41:18 EDT 2012

On 08/01/2012 12:30 PM, Phil Turmel wrote:
> So matching your reverse DNS might not be a technical requirement,
> but it appears to be a common practice.  Maybe even considered a best
> practice.

Aye, it is.

DNS PTRs are used in many different protocols for validation and the
like, but perhaps the most common is for Internet mail.

Also, ensure that (quickie list off the top of my head):

 - There is an MX record pointing to the system receiving mail for
   your domain.

 - You have appropriate SPF records authorizing your systems to send
   mail.

 - (Optional, but recommended.) You should have DKIM configured so that
   the chance you'll hit a spam folder goes way down.

 - There is a PTR for the IP to the correct name.

 - Your MX should not be a CNAME.  Put an IP address in the MX.  Use
   some macro system to make this more convenient if desired and if
   managing your own DNS server.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”