[ale] comcast business + mail server = static ip?

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Wed Aug 1 12:30:05 EDT 2012

Hi Robert,

On 08/01/2012 12:09 PM, Robert wrote:
> I've just had comcast business class installed, and I want to move my
> mailserver over to it. However, I'm being cheap and trying not to pay the
> extra $15/mo for a static ip.  I think I've read that their dhcp addresses
> rarely change.. I can monitor it, and use dns update to tweak my ip if it
> changes... with a 4hour ttl, I don't expect to miss much, if any, mail if the
> ip changes..
>
> what concerns me more is that the reverse dns will be comcast's
> c-x-x-x-x.hsd1.ga.comcast.net...  I know that technically reverse dns doesn't
> have to match the mail server's name, but some other servers might be too
> picky about it.. so I was wondering if anyone with comcast business class is
> running a mailserver using their assigned dhcp address? If so, have you had
> any issues?

When I first switched over to Comcast business class at my office, with
static IPs, I neglected to fix up the reverse DNS for about a week.
Then I got all 7day delivery failure notices.  So matching your reverse
DNS might not be a technical requirement, but it appears to be a common
practice.  Maybe even considered a best practice.

YMMV, of course.

Phil