[ale] semi ot anyone using obd ii automotive diagnostics

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Sun Apr 29 00:03:53 EDT 2012

I have used the Torque product and ODB bluetooth on my Sprinter B3500
truck on occasion.

However, normally I have a ScanguageII sitting on the ODB port reading
off turbo pressure, voltage, MPG, and coolant Temp.

On those occasions where it has thrown a check engine light and
corresponding code, the ODB reported code has been of marginal use.
It's Mercedes best translation.    In those instances it had to go to a
Chrysler dealer who had the Mercedes computer to obtain the real
Mercedes codes.   Torque didn't do any better than the ScanguageII.
Both Torque and Scanguage let you reset the Check engine to see if it
comes back.

Frankly, I think handling an Android device in a moving car is too much
distraction for the driver.

Neal Rhodes