[ale] pay rates vs. experience

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 22:44:07 EDT 2012

One of the things I see as the admin for the list is the postings for the
ale-jobs list before everyone else. I've never rejected a posting for
having a crappy pay rate and never will.

BUT....

Given the state of things, economy, growth in demand for Linux skills,
number of qualified admins in the field, etc., maybe it's time for a
knock-down, drag out discussion on pay vs. experience.

The last time I saw a usix pay chart was probably 2005. At that time a
RedHat EL admin wiiht a solid 5 years experience on the job was worth an
average $80k/yr with decent benefitsw (company health insurance, retirement
fund other than stock options, dental, etc).

Windows admins with 5 years were around $65k.

Solaris with 5 years got $90k.
IRIX admins were looking for a new OS to use.

Oracle DBA with 5 years could grab $95k anywhere.

Any professional certification added 5-10k to the above. Thos numbers were
nation-wide averages so no are specific cost of living differentials.

Atlanta is cheaper than LA or New York and has a large and growing IT
presence and a similar demand for Linux skills.

Lately, I've seen startups pay more but the risk is higher. Lower risk jobs
pay less but the check always clears the bank. I recently took a lower pay
job than I'm accustomed to just for the lower risk of short-term with a
large corp. I have "stuff to do" that scratches some of my geek itches but
leaves many untouched.

Is the current economy eating admin pay grades? I didn't take my current
position because i wanted the main job function. I took for purely "gotta
eat and pay bills" reasons (sell out but not starving does cause me some
sleepless nights - then I go get something to eat and forget about it).

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
*