[ale] Cable modem recommendation

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Apr 18 23:25:17 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I know the original post was about a non leased modem.  I can't really
speak to that, but I thought I'd mention something about the phone
part.  I have Comcast Xfinity service with HD TV, 20 MBps Internet, and
3 line Phone.  It ain't cheap, but I really like it.  The way the phone
works is pretty cool.  Of course, the phone signals come through the
internet connection using VOIP.  My particular modem has 4 phone ports,
of which I'm using 3.  The service works well most of the time, with
only occasional digital distortion and breakup.  So, what we did is to
have the phone company disconnect the traditional phone line from the
outside junction box.  Then, I plugged a patch cable from the modem to a
nearby wall outlet.  The modem drives my entire phone network in the
house with two lines.  I have a wireless base station in the basement so
I can have access to the third line.  I'm pretty sure the modem
automatically provides Quality Of Service functions to automatically
prioritize phone traffic, but I could be wrong.  Almost all my phones
have their own power supply, and those that don't are relatively modern,
so it's not too much power drain on the modem.  I guess I have 6 or 7
phones operating off of the system.  Some of those are wireless with
multiple handsets.  So, that's a big advantage of having a modem device
with it's own phone ports, so you can drive your telephone network all
over the house, depending on the modem in use.  I don't think something
like MagicJack can do that.  The other advantage of a modem with phone
ports is that it will automatically reboot after a power failure.
Finally, the modem Comcast provided has a battery that lasts a few hours
if the power is off, so you still have phone service for a while.  Since
it's connected directly to the cable, I don't have to have a UPS on it.
Of course, wireless phones are useless without power to the base
station.  However, I have an old wired phone which I can plug in if
needed which draws power from the phone line.  I also have my cell phone
as a backup.  You also have to notify whomever provides the VOIP service
of any address changes so 911 service will work.  One other neat thing
about a leased modem is that you can harass the ISP when something goes
wrong.  Also, sometimes you get new faster stuff when they upgrade their
system.

I think the Vonage box shown in this link will allow you to do something
similar to what I'm doing, but I'm not sure.  If you have a device like
this, you can just plug it into your router, but, if you want service
during a power failure, you'll have to make sure the phone box, the
router, and the cable modem are attached to a UPS.

http://www.vonage.com/how_vonage_works_adapters/?refer_id=WEBHO0706010001W1&lid=sub_nav_adapters

Sincerely,

Ron

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)