[ale] RH cert training recommendations?

Dylan Northrup ale at doc-x.net
Mon Apr 9 16:03:05 EDT 2012

If you know where to look in the man pages for specific pieces of
information, you'll have time to do so.  If you need to read through the
installed documentation under /usr/share/doc/<application> you likely won't
have time to complete the test successfully.

As a smart man once told me, the test is as much about time management as
it is about knowing the material.  Part of time management is knowing where
to look for command syntax if you don't know it by heart.

During my test, I did reference man pages because I've already got too much
useless knowledge inside my brain.  It was more important to me to be able
to know where to get the esoteric/specific info than it was for me to have
it committed to memory.  If you don't know which command-line *options* to
use in test scenarios, using man pages is not that big a deal, timewise. If
you don't know which *command* to use for test scenarios, using man pages
to find them will take far too long.

Just my two cents.

-
Dylan
RHCE 100-004-662

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Scott McBrien <smcbrien at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think there is time to use documentation to figure things out if you
> have to.  There is not enough time to do that for the majority of test
> items though.
>
> -Scott
>
> On Apr 9, 2012, at 2:45 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:
>
> > On 04/09/2012 11:18 AM, Chesser.Damon wrote:
> >> Read the test objectives and run labs around them.  You NEED to be able
> to do
> >> the objectives without referencing the man pages.  In other words, you
> need to
> >> know the stuff forwards and backwards.  It is not enough to know how,
> you have
> >> to know how quickly.
> >

> > Would the Anki training method work well for this memorization?  That
> assumes
> > you already know the stuff using man pages and hands on stuff.  Are
> there anki
> > training decks available like there are for LPIC-1, 2, 3?

Dylan Northrup
"Adversity is just change we haven't adapted ourselves to yet."
  - Aimee Mullins