[ale] laptop overheats before install completes

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 20:25:18 EDT 2012

Many thanks for the suggestions. I will be sure to clean the fan vent.
But the issue really does come primarily from the Catalyst driver.
Evidence to wit: 1. No overheating in Windows at all. 2. No
overheating in Linux when the Catalyst proprietary driver is
installed. There is an open source driver included in X-Windows, but
it doesn't fix the overheating issue on my model. So, whenever I go to
install Linux, the clock is ticking until I install the driver. This
is a known issue with ATI cards. Until recently, the driver wouldn't
play at all with Gnome 3, but that has been resolved. I will avoid ATI
cards from now on out.