[ale] PostgreSQL DBA Guides

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Sep 19 12:35:56 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 11:28 -0400, David Tomaschik wrote:
> I've looked at a few "PostgreSQL howtos" but they don't seem to get
> into a lot of depth.  On the other hand, the pure PostgreSQL
> documentation is rather dry reading.

I'd honestly recommend reading the PostgreSQL documentation.  You can
skip the biggest part of the documentation---the PostgreSQL SQL
reference---for your introduction to PostgreSQL.  Of course, the
reference is indispensable as well; I prefer to have a copy for the most
recent release in dead-tree form, though I would like to have a copy on
my Kindle that isn't PDF at some point, too.

The PostgreSQL documentation is really quite nice, insofar as
documentation is concerned.  It is far better, IMHO, than the MySQL
documentation.

If you have questions on the order of "I did X in MySQL, how do I do the
same thing in PostgreSQL?", I'm willing to field those questions
directly or on the list (if that wouldn't be considered to be too
off-topic, that is), because I (much to my displeasure!) speak both.

	--- Mike

                                  --- Carveth Read, “Logic”