[ale] WooHoo!! PostgreSQL 9.1!

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Mon Sep 19 09:21:53 EDT 2011

Also of course is the issue that Oracle now owns MySQL so has opportunities for *ahem* interference with use of that.

Oracle with Java, Solaris and OEL is already playing games.   The “Open” Solaris license isn’t really “Open” if you read it.   They are said to be enforcing Java licenses in a way that Sun never did.   (One Oracle guy I know says that Sun “indicated” they were going to but ignores the fact that Sun never actually did it.)   They have already announced they are dropping development of products for Itanium which is all HP-UX runs on now so they’re eliminating competition for Solaris.   Finally they’ve already started making “enhancements” for DB/applications they make that only run on Solaris or OEL so they’re also trying to kill other UNIX and Linux flavors that way.

Short sighted folks will simply continue to use Solaris and/or migrate to OEL to use Oracle’s products.   People that saw what MS bundling ultimately truly cost will hopefully start moving to other solutions.