[ale] Slow NFS Speed?

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Thu Sep 15 10:43:18 EDT 2011

At work, we have an OS X 10.5 NFS server with a Ubuntu Server 10.04
client.  (Among others.)  We're running backups via NFS using Amanda,
and the backups seem to be pegging at exactly 100Mbit/s.  Both
machines are connected via GigE, full-duplex.  (Confirmed via mii-tool
and system preferences.)

I can read from the storage array on the XServe at ~200MB/s via dd.
Additionally, Amanda can read from clients remotely (SSH transport) at
400-500 Mbit/s, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the backup
server.

I've tried tweaking NFS rsize with no noticeable impact.  Any other
hints to improve NFS performance?  Anyone with experience with OS X as
an NFS host?  Most of the information I find online is OS X as an NFS
client.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com