[ale] recylcing fluorescent bulbs

planas jslozier at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 17:40:38 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 16:29 -0400, Chris Fowler wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 13:38 +0000, Watson, Keith wrote:
> > Several people asked about recycling fluorescent bulbs/
>
> Are these really dangerous?  It is a joke.

Potentially yes, fluorescent bulbs often contain mercury at levels that
make the waste stream hazardous due to mercury contamination. There is a
generic EPA waste code for unclassified waste streams ("D wastes") with
mercury contamination. I forget the specific code. Technically, you must
test the waste stream prior to hauling/disposal to determine if the
mercury levels are acceptable for the stream to qualify as
non-hazardous, otherwise it is supposed classified as hazardous.

The way the regulations work each disposer is responsible for the
correct classification and ultimate disposal of any waste stream they
generate. You can not combine waste streams with anyone else or combine
several of your own to avoid proper waste disposal. Thus, very strictly,
anyone who throws out various batteries, fluorescent bulbs, or
electronics in their trash could be violating US environmental laws. The
basic rule is you must be able to prove the waste is properly classified
either by direct knowledge or by chemical testing. Unfortunately, most
people do not have any real knowledge of the environmental regulations
and often it is very difficult to properly dispose of hazardous wastes
by a household.

This is an example of the law of unintended consequences. No one
bothered to check the EPA waste disposal regulations prior to enacting
the stupidity.

I do not know if the LED's have any hazardous materials in them that
would require their disposal as hazardous wastes. But I would not be
surprised if they did.

> When I worked for RPS (UPS clone, now FedEx Ground) in 1994 I don't
> remember ever seeing a box of these that actually made it.   I had a
> theory that these were the bulbs that were not or could not be sold so
> they were being shipped just so the owner could collect money from RPS
> when they arrive broken.  :)
>
> When I unloaded trucks I unloaded with a partner.  His name:
> Gravity....

Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com