[ale] Car Topic

David Hillman hillmands at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 10:37:22 EDT 2011

Keith,
     Thank you for that link about the Lean Burn system.  Computer
technology in cars have become orders of magnitude more powerful.  It is now
possible to know a whole lot about the running condition of a modern engine
due to the network of sensors.  I became interested in emissions control
systems, and in the laws governing them, after my car started showing
trouble codes, even after a tuneup and the O2 sensors were changed.  What I
have found is some of these systems, especially the secondary air injection,
are no longer necessary, due to more precise fuel injection and O2 sensor
systems (see Wikipedia).  Secondary air injection was necessary for cars in
the 1960s and 1970s before all of the feedback loop control systems that we
have today.  Unfortunately, manufacturers have to keep putting these systems
in because the laws haven't kept up with the rapid pace of the technology
(they never will).  This is a classic case of government intervention
hurting people (financially) more than helping.

I say people shouldn't have to pay up front because a code is thrown for a
useless legacy system; they should only have to pay once it is shown, via
the computer logs, that the car has a failure in one of the more useful
feedback loop sensors.