[ale] Car topic

David Hillman hillmands at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 12:29:06 EDT 2011

Thank you all.  Well, it looks like I would have to spend over $805 in
emissions repairs to get a waiver.  Replacing just the pump (sealed) and the
valves will still put me over the limit of what I had budgeted for this
mostly project vehicle.  I have another car I can use.  I picked up the VW
for very little money, it was supposed to be something me and my friends
could tinker with and use for road trips.  Shedding weight, in the form of a
large, heavy pump and associated gear, is something I felt would make a nice
improvement.  Spending money to fix a problem that doesn't improve engine
performance or increase the capability of the car in any meaningful way goes
against my principles--especially, when it'll take funds away from my "fun"
project.  I now have no choice but to get rid of a solid vehicle that is
otherwise perfect for our project.  I won't get another car that has been
engineered this way.  If you can't beat 'em and you don't want to join 'em,
go in a different direction.