[ale] Car topic

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Wed Sep 7 11:49:27 EDT 2011

Hi David,

Keep in mind that the state can changes these rules at any time.
Emissions testing is only required in 13 counties, so you could move
outside of that area, into the burbs.  I'm only being half serious
there, but the thought had crossed my mind since I have 2 cars to deal
with.  The last time I talked to my mechanic, he said the factories are
pretty much building the car around the emissions system.  It does seem
to be a bit of overkill.  Another option is to get a diesel, which is
exempt from testing.  Certified alternative fuel vehicles or all
electric vehicles are exempt, I believe.  All electric would have to
be.  Finally, believe it or not, you could get a bigger vehicle.  My
step son's Chevy Silverado crew cab pickup is exempt since it's over
8500 lbs.  The price you pay for that is terrible gas mileage and big
maintenance costs if anything breaks.  Also, any car over 25 years old
is exempt I believe.  The most recent 3 model years are exempt, ie 2009,
2010, 2011 for this year.  That's a rolling window which changes each
year.  I think they have some exemptions for seniors, but that may be
related to repair costs.  If you're just an average driver with a medium
weight gas powered car of modern (but not too modern) vintage, they've
got you over a barrel.

These links should help:

http://www.cleanairforce.com/
http://www.cleanairforce.com/docs/GCAF%20Press%20Kit%202011.pdf
http://www.cleanairforce.com/docs/2011%20QA%20Brochure_FINAL.pdf

By the way, Circuit Cellar Magazine has been doing a nice series of
articles on how OBD works.

http://circuitcellar.com/

I've been looking for an embedded linux system that I could run a robot
on and also program it in C++.  I'll have to check out that board you
mentioned.

Sincerely,

Ron