[ale] Car topic

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 11:49:09 EDT 2011

Don't go pissing and moaning at the regulations or the regulators. Instead,
direct your justifiable wrath at the engineering design failure that was
devised to meet those regulations for the least cost possible.
Bluntly, unless you are an automotive engine engineer,  replace the part
that failed instead of wasting time on a work around. You may be able to get
a good working used part from one of the many salvage yards for much less.
If you want to go really cheap, you can crack that pump open and clean the
crud off the bwaring surfaces (likely sleeve bearings) polish it up with a
buffer on a dremel and put it back into service. The vacuum hoses just need
replacing or you can do the duct tape covering for cheap.
As with most things, modular replacement is the norm for modern cars. Most
crap under the hood with wires or hoses or both is designed for disposal
after failure.
I have my "project car" , a 1981 Porsche 924 Turbo, but the stuff I drive
daily goes to the mechanic. I like (what's left of) my sanity.