[ale] budget dual-head advice?

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Sep 6 11:59:07 EDT 2011

On 08/31/2011 11:19 AM, Björn Gustafsson wrote:
> I'd prefer PCI-X but have the option of AGP if it makes sense
> budget-wise.  Sounds like nVidia isn't so bad after all, so I will
> probably end up going that way.

Another thread I missed!  Better late than never!  :)

I've been very happy with ATI and the open source radeon driver for it
lately.  Just note that if you get a card built on the CAICOS chipset
that kernel mode setting is REQUIRED for X to work, and for some
distributions you'll have to update some components.  Gentoo works GREAT
with the CAICOS chipset, as would Ubuntu 11.04 if they had a new enough
Mesa...

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”