[ale] Linux alternative recommendation ?

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Mon Oct 24 10:26:09 EDT 2011

Courtney

In regard to a fast small (mechanical) hard drive, the Seagate Momentus
XT SSD Hybrid drive is nice.  (See my next reply regarding HDD vs
Flash.)  The part number I'm going to mention is a 2.5" model, has a 4
GB SSD cache, has a 7200 RPM spindle, will fit nicely into a compact USB
enclosure, carries a 5 year warranty, has a SATA interface, and 500 GB
capacity.  I literally use this as the main drive on two of my laptops,
and dual boot between Windows and Linux.  Note that, at some point, your
speed limit is going to be the  USB connection, not the drive.  Running
your PC from an external USB drive, not matter what the technology, will
not be as fast as running the drive internally.  The part number for the
drive is ST95005620AS.  Note that this number is NOT on the retail box.
I don't know why.  If you save the boxes, like I do, you may wish to
write the number on the box once you get it.  This number is the one
that the operating system will report for the drive once it's
installed.  If your computer has USB v3, you'll need a USB v3 SATA
enclosure and cable to get maximum speed.  The internal interface for
the enclosure (ie SATA) must match the interface for the drive.  All but
the newest computers have USB v2, which is slower.  In this case, you
can get a USB v2 enclosure, which will probably just say USB on the
label.  I really like the Vantec line of enclosures, although there are
other good ones as well.  The enclosure box should say USB and SATA (if
you get a SATA HDD) and 2.5".  The nicer enclosures come with a pouch to
keep the drive in.  Be aware that an external USB drive usually requires
the use of TWO USB ports on your PC, because it has to draw extra
power.  The enclosures generally come with a cable where one end has two
plugs for this purpose.  If your PC has only one USB port, or if it has
two but they are spaced far apart, you may not be able to run an
external mechanical HDD, or you may have to run a smaller, low power drive.

Sincerely,

Ron