[ale] semi [OT] help recovering data from memory card

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Mon Oct 17 16:01:37 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

I need help recovering data from a micro SD memory card.  A relative
called me and said the pictures on her phone had suddenly become
inaccessible.  She had hundreds of pictures, but I think she has backups
of all but 80 or so.  Still, she'd like them back.  I went and got the
memory card.  I put it in my card reader on my pc after inserting it
into a micro SD - SD adapter and locking it with the lever on the
adapter.  Vista doesn't see the card at all.  Win 7 offers to format it,
to which I decline.  Putting it in my Verizon phone also offers to
format, to which I decline.  When I look at memory usage with the card
in the phone, it says 0 used and 0 capacity.  When I plug it into Linux,
it does not mount the card.  If I go into Disk Utility in Ubuntu 10.04,
it sees the card, and correctly specifies the 4GB capacity.  The
partition type is specified as FAT32 (I think).  The partition is
labeled as unknown.  I think it had a label previously.  That's as far
as I've gotten.  I may buy a recovery utility for $40 if needed, but I
thought I'd see what you guys say first.  Searching the Ubuntu Software
Center and Synaptics program listings for memory card didn't turn up
anything useful.  Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Ron