[ale] Perl or Python for editing files...

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 15:52:59 EDT 2011

If you are looking for an excuse to add a new scripting tool to yoir skill
set, sure, either is good to know.
Perl is the "more capable text processor " of the two. But the capability
differences are now in depth of module add-ons for specialty things. Python
can more than hold its own in simply to moderately complex text work.
It's easy to write ugly to maintain perl that works perfectly.
Its hard to write ugly to maintain python that works perfectly. By design,
python will force a high degree of readability that perl will be nearly
freeform about.
I still consider perl to be "the swiss army chainsaw of IT". It does
EVERYTHING (except run an emacs instance natively ) .
Python is used in more system command and control cases now than perl is.
Not that perl systems are being replaced with python but they didn't get
started with perl ( notable exception: Webmin).
My first scripting language was perl. I inherited a process and just kept
going with it. If I were in the same situation now, I would probably also
stick with perl. Of I had a new project to tackle and freedom to choose the
tools, I'd go with python as I've done large apps in perl and bash.
And then there's the Monty Python references.   :-)