[ale] Searching ALE mail archives?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Nov 3 11:21:24 EDT 2011

He's a little MS-centric for me, but http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/
does have lots about lower-end storage and NAS that is worth a read.  I
disagree with his "SMBs shouldn't use RAID" article, but he does make
some good points.

Hard core hardware guys here probably have servers from Dell, HP, IBM at
work and perhaps at home. These are out of my personal price range and
the 3 yr old versions sold cheaply often have some undesirable
characteristics, especially for virtualization or as desktops.

CPUs fall into distinct categories.
* Servers
* Desktops
* Mobile
Server-centric CPUs can be really important for server-class workloads,
but a strong Core i5 or Core i7 processor can do most of the same things
for much less cash.

Hypervisor usually means virtualization of some kind.  That's a complex
subject alone (desktop virt, VDI, small scale server virt or large scale
server virt are VERY different). If you are keen on that and want to try
different hypervisor technologies, start with the VMWare "white-box"  HW
compatibility list. This list won't screw you too much on non-Vmware
tech choices. Pay careful attention to disk and network controllers.

VT-x and VT-d (or whatever AMD calls their versions of the same stuff)
can matter lots - or not at all. If you want to do virtualization, it is
better to have these than not.

There are lots of HCLs - Hardware Compatibility Lists. The best advice I
can give you is to go off, do your research, put together a short list
of the HW you intend to build, verifying each part with at least 1 HCL
for linux. Then post those parts here (vendor + model + chip) for
comments.  If you say what you are trying to build, that would help too.
 Audio support isn't too important on a server, for example.

I've built a home disk array using Addonics.com parts. If you have more
time than money, this is an option.

Solid network storage is usually the first step for server-based
virtualization success that isn't just a play machine at home.

Sorry, didn't have time to proof read this post. Hope it helps.