[ale] video running too fast

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Sat May 28 23:06:35 EDT 2011

On 2011/05/28, at 21:59 , Evan Lasky wrote:
> I am running a Fedora 14 box with a phenon 2 processor,
> 4 GB of ram and on board video. Any video I try to watch
> plays at 90mph with no sound and looks like it stops to
> buffer occasionally. It doesn't matter if I am watching a
> DVD or a youtube video. Any ideas? Thanks, Evan

My first guess is that the hardware system is not generating
a reference clock signal expected by the media software.

What is your media player?

Same software for video and DVD playback?

Is this something that just came up on a previously working
box or is this the first time you've been trying to play video
on this install?

A quick test to narrow down to a software or hardware
issue would be to boot to a Live CD of a different distro
and try to play video with it.  See if a different distro /
media player software exhibits the same problem.

HTH!
peace
aaron

> P.S. I have very little Linux experience.

But I have a lot of computer media experience, so it
should all work out!  :-)