[ale] vmware remote display vs vnc on the ubuntu box vs xming on my Windoze machine

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Fri May 27 21:12:45 EDT 2011

On 05/27/2011 08:03 PM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> I will be running eclipse on the Ubuntu box and thats pretty much the
> only X app that I plan to run.
>
> So let me understand what JD has typed.
>
> Run XMing and configure it (uffff I hope it ez and thats another email)
>
> Connect thru putty to the remote Ubutnu box or any ssh client on windows
> host(i have to use Win7 to conn to the Ubuntu box due to VPN restrictions)
>
> Use SSH-X tunneling from the remote Ubuntu using Putty.  Then run
> ssh -X nns at regulus <mailto:nns at regulus> on the remote box.
>
> Start running more commands from the shell that comes back to the Win7 box.
>
> Is any one successfully running Xming on your Win7 boxes with success ?

You said you had an Ubuntu desktop. I don't care if the ubuntu desktop
is inside a VM, if you already can see it, we are fine.

I thought you were trying to connect to a VM inside some remote machine,
a "server."

With those two assumptions, you only need to open a terminal on the
desktop. Then type:

ssh -X userid at server

That will give you a shell on the remote machine with X-forwarding
enabled (probably. your ssh-security restrictions may not allow this, so
you'll need to fix that on the remote "server" in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config).

Then in the remote shell, type "eclipse &" ... assuming that program is
in your PATH (it was for me).

I've never gotten Xming to work well enough. It crashed here, lots. If
you insist on using Windows as the desktop and can't/won't run a Linux
VM on that same desktop (which makes this work like I said above), then
you'll want to purchase a commercial X-Server to avoid screwing around
with the free, less stable, X/Server implementations on Windows.  The
last few that I used were from Chameleon or Hummingbird and ran around
$200 per seat. Both worked. Setup was less than intuitive for someone
new to X/Windows. Running Linux in a VM on the desktop will give you a
great X/Server implementation.  Of course, I switched to Linux more than
a few years ago and Windows X/Server options may have changed.  Heck,
running Puppy Linux  or even TinyCore in a VM would be perfect for your
X/Server needs, if your desktop is RAM limited.

BTW, I setup an Ubuntu x64 Server 10.04 today, inside a KVM VM, to
perform Java development inside Eclipse.  Running Eclipse v3.5.2 now.
I'm staring at a "Welcome to Eclipse" screen, so all this works.  The
only question is whether I've done a clear enough job of explaining it
to you.

If you'd like a little deeper understanding of X/Windows, the wikipedia
article probably explains why the C/S model for X/Windows is backwards
of what almost every other C/S application stack uses.  The X/Client is
remote and send commands/events to your local "head" which must run the
X/Server.

Based on all the questions you've been asking, perhaps you should catch
someone for a few hours, tell them your situation and let them help you
design the best possible answer all at once.