[ale] windoze scripts to linux scripts

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Fri May 27 11:39:04 EDT 2011

On 2011/05/26, at 16:16 , Geoffrey Myers wrote:

> The Don Lachlan wrote:
>>> The standard output of the find command IS the full
>>> path name (starting at the root /)
>>> On this machine, doing a find of type file on my
>>> home directory:
>>>
>>>   find ~ -type f
>>> yeilds:
>>> /Users/arx/Sites/images/apache_pb.gif
>>
>> Aaron,
>>
>> That's because ~ expands to /Users/arx/ - "find -print" returns the
>> path
>> relative to whatever directory was specified. If you specify a local
>> directory, it prints a local directory.
>>
>> So you may solve his problem but it does not start at the root /.
>
> find $(pwd) -print

I got hung up on this challenge and found that solution
in my searches as well.   Of course, the requisite for making
that work is to cd into the target directory before listing
it.

Anyway, inside a script one should probably be specifying
the full path to files/dirs (or cd to a known home base starting
point) in order to avoid any ambiguity from relative run time
environments.

I still didn't find any single command or option combination
for [find | ls | {etc}] that would list any arbitrary file with its
full path.  A trivial issue to address, but it's interesting that
it doesn't seem to be in the standard tool chest.  Wonder
if having such would present a security issue?

peace
aaron