[ale] WebM file Conversions?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu May 26 07:49:41 EDT 2011

Anyone know of a good way to batch convert webm video files into
something a 1 yr old hardware player can handle?  mpeg2, h.264, mpeg4
into either an avi, mkv or mp4 container?

More and more .webm files are showing up online. I pulled a few hours of
technical conference videos yesterday and they only had .webm formats.
The media player that I use supports all sorts of media file types, but
webm is too new to be supported. Watching these in a web browser ain't
gonna happen.

Normally, I'd use mencoder to convert **anything** into h.264 and shove
it into an mkv container.  mencoder doesn't support webm ... yet.

The only tool I know that claims support for webm is VLC, but it loses
the audio when converting to better supported formats.

webm --> (h.264+mp3).mkv would be ideal for my player. Sorry, it doesn't
support vorbis.

Ideas?