[ale] Fedora 15

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed May 25 23:24:35 EDT 2011

Dude! RH 5.x is not even in the same _game_ as RHEL 5.x. You're comparing
kernel 1.x to kernel 2.6.x. Different animal.

The quantity of info contained by a particular package is a function of the
needs of that package. RPM's support pre and post install and removal
scripts. I am quite certain that debs provide similar capabilities.

Yum and apt are not "front ends" for their respective package formats. They
function as tools to locate and acquire new packages and all known
dependencies for installation into a system. The support finding info about
the found packages and what is needed to install or remove them.

As always, working with poor quality repos will cause issues in
dependencies. That is not a function of the package management tool but of
the developers who are using libs from a broken or unsupported tree.  Most
stuff located on rpmfind.net is a crapshoot for system reliability. Most
stuff on rpmfusion is just fine. jpackage.org is also usually a decent
source (java stuff is notorious for version weirdness). Any deb user who
access a bad repo will have mountains of issues. Any deb user who changes
their version midstream will also have issues. For that matter, a fedora
user who pokes at their repo configs and changes version numbers manually is
really gonna have a bad day!

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> RPM and dpkg are roughly anaglous to each other. They more or less work at
> the individual package level. Yum and APT are front ends for rpm and dpkg,
> respectively.
>
> However, as I understand the underlying formats, dpkg pkgs hold more info
> in them, while yum and other rpm front ends attempt to piece that info
> together for themselves. I could be wrong, I haven't really looked @ rpm
> since RH 5.w (not RHEL 5.2).
>
> --
> Sent from my phone... a G2 running CM7 nightlies!
> On May 25, 2011 9:47 PM, "Damon L. Chesser" <damon at damtek.com> wrote:

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky*