[ale] In DEB/APT Hell Again

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed May 25 08:51:22 EDT 2011

On 05/25/2011 08:17 AM, scott wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 8:34 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:
>> Ok, I'm back again.  Back in dpkg hell seeking for some help.  The help
>> this weekend was exactly correct and I'm hoping for another win on a
>> different machine.
>>
>> The normal 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade' failed with lots and lots
>> of packages that needed to be updated. 8.04 Ubuntu Server x64.
>
> you were only doing in-family upgrades (Ubuntu 8.04 to Ubuntu 8.04)
> right?  if you were trying to go to 8.10, 9.04, 9.10, 10.4, etc then
> you broke the system.

Yes. This is an 8.04 system. I want to keep it that way.  ZERO interest
in upgrading to 9.xx or 10.xx at all.  8.04 LTS Server x64 running under
a paravirtual Xen host OS - 8.04 LTS Xen.  Not HVM.

When we do upgrade to a new OS, it will be a full install, not an upgrade.

No funny repos. All standard from ubuntu.
It runs 1 program - vtiger (which is a php-based web CRM tool).
It only has the packages needed to support vtiger from the ubuntu repos.
Nothing else.

The VM is only accessible over a VPN, not from the public internet.

I need to get away and clear my mind for a few hours.
Thanks.