[ale] OpenVAS

Jim Butler jimbutler1234567890 at gmail.com
Tue May 24 16:41:14 EDT 2011

Hi everyone..
I have been trying to get a copy of OpenVAS going for the last week,
with little more than headaches for results.
First of all, OpenVAS comes bundled with BackTrack4 and it works well
enough from there... The problem is, once I update the plugins (i.e.
vulnerability definitions to scan for), after that the OpenVAS client
can no longer connect to the OpenVAS server.

I have tried clearing the slate and starting from scratch in a number of
different ways. I tried installing a fresh copy of Debian SID and then
followed the procedures for installing from package management using the
scripted procedure on OpenVAS.org website. It go through the
installation process and then go to sign on to greenbone security
assistant's webpage, and it can't authenticate me using the credentials
that I just created in the installation process.
I have tried doing the same thing from Debian Lenny and with the same
results. I have tried removing OpenVAS from BackTrack4 and then
reinstalling the entire package to BackTrack4 as per the scripted
installation process, and still I get the same results.

Does anyone here use OpenVAS? Has anyone here had these problems? Has
anyone found a workaround for these problems?? I really want to use
OpenVAS. I don't have $1200.00 to pay for a 1 year Nessus license so I
really need to get this to work. Any help, I would really appreciate.

Sincerely,
Jim Butler