[ale] Cost of freedom

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Wed May 18 09:17:35 EDT 2011

In fact once we were doing a 5 year projection after doing the annual
budget and I was asked to come up with a formula in the spreadsheet that
showed a trend in revenue increases and cost decreases for each of the
successive years to make the General Manager happy.  I pointed out that
such a formula was inherently invalid as its trend would be to
eventually show the business making nearly infinite revenue at nearly
zero cost.  Despite that they had me put the formula into the
spreadsheet.   (At least that "projection" wasn't anything folks were
expected to achieve unlike quarterly forecasts and annual budgets.)