[ale] Monitoring Ubuntu Servers

The Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Sat May 14 01:10:41 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 09:23:11PM -0400, JD wrote:
> On 05/13/2011 03:51 PM, Omar Chanouha wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> >     I have 2 ubuntu servers that I maintain at work. I would like some
> > way to be able to monitor them in order to detect intruders.
> > Specifically things like CPU usage, RAM usage, HD usage, currently
> > logged in users, running processes and IP connections. There seems to
> > be a lot of options out there, but I am wondering what the people on
> > this list use/would recommend because I know many on this list are
> > seasoned sys admins. Command line tools are just as welcome as GUI
> > apps, as long as they get the job done.
>
> For 2 boxes, it would be hard to justify the effort for Nagios.  I'd do
> something really easy like SysUsage. http://sysusage.darold.net/  You
> could deploy this in under 5 minutes.

I would also advise against Nagios; it's great for large implementations but
the amount of work involved is disproportionate to what you'll get for 2
boxes.

For small environments, I like Xymon (http://www.xymon.com/). It's packaged
for many distributions, simple to set up, and provides fairly detailed
system information.

-L