[ale] Ubuntu recommendations

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri May 13 19:04:00 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Chris Fowler
<cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 18:17 -0400, John Pilman wrote:
> > > Ububtu and Fedora both support an Upgrade option (Don't know about
> Ubunbtu
> > > LTS. RHEL doesn't support an upgrade between major releases).
> >

> > In Ubuntu Update Manager Settings you select:
> >   Release Upgrade, Show new distribution releases:
> >       Never
> >       Normal releases
> >       Long Term Support releases only
>
> I think in my case I'm just being punished.  The first thing I do after
> all Ubuntu installs is add the repository for mplayer, codecs, etc.  I
> like playing mp3s regardless what the folks at Ubuntu want to force on
> me :)

Wait a minute!?!? You mean Fedora handles an external repo _better_ than the
magic ubuntu?!? BWAHAHAHA!!!

Oh. It does.

In Fedoraland, we use the rpmfusion repo for "things not distributable" by
Fedora/RedHat. Most if not all of these are due to patent/license issues.
However, the last several full Fedora system upgrade (F12->F13->F14) handled
the third party repo just fine. There's a place in the upgrade process to
enter third party repos if working from a CD boot style, otherwise it reads
the active repos in the /etc/yum.repos.d folder and consults with them with
the new release data. So during the upgrade process, packages from the
rpmfusion repo (and others will work as well if they are as coordinated as
rpmfusion is - they have package builds for the rawhide,alpha,beta and rc
versions ready to go) are also upgraded to the next release version
auto_freakin_magically. So my mplayer-freeworld on F13 was upgraded to
mplayer-freeworld on F14 (as well all the multimedia player plugins in
Firefox - except for Adobe Flash).

MWAHAHAHAHA!

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky*